Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dealing With Problem Parents As A Youth Sports Coach

I've been a cheerleading coach for a while now and this can sometimes be a touchy subject, but I'm not going to beat around the bush. As a volunteer you put in so much time, on and off the field. You are dedicated, you want what's best for your team and every individual child, you try your best and expect to be appreciated and respected as a coach, by your team and the parents. I've found that 99% of parent are behind you 100% but you always have 1 or 2 that are going to try your patience.

I have not and will not ever let a problem parent get to me in a way that there would be a confrontation in front of my team. Not saying that I didn't want to put them in their place right there and then, but that is not good for the child, and that is who you are there for(every individual child). Never let a parent discourage you, but by all means you must stick up for yourself, away from the team. Also let your organization know of the complaint, just in case it gets out of hand. Some parents can be kind of crazy and you never know what they are going to do so be prepared. The best thing to do to help avoid any problems is have them sign a code of conduct. Here is a link for some other ideas: Parents Behaving Badly

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

We Coach Youth Sports

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Is there a website that has a prefabricated "Parent Code of Conduct" that I can use for my cheer squad this season?
thanks so much.